Author Guest Post
5 Ways I Stay Motivated As A Writer
Ah, the answer to the question every writer is looking for… Most writers struggle from time to time, or far too often, with crippling cases of writer's block. No, writer's block isn't just a myth or fable. It's that point in time when your brain is absolutely empty, your words are muddled together, and you know it's time to throw in the towel before you type one more word of gibberish into a Word document.
I've worked as a freelance writer for four years. In that time, I've rarely struggled with legitimate writer's block, although I've had my share of exhaustion, frustration, and tears.
Here are 5 of my secrets to keeping your motor running as a writer:
1. Write on a variety of topics. Since I work as a freelancer, I have the pleasure of picking and choosing from a number of different clients and topics to fill up my schedule. If you find yourself getting bored of writing on one topic, simply move on to another subject or genre to stay fresh.
2. Read as often as possible. My husband makes fun of me because I always fall asleep with my nose in a book the moment my head hits the pillow. Sure, it may not look like I'm reading - but I promise that I really am! Reading regularly keeps me motivated, and it also makes me jealous of other talented authors whose styles I may want to emulate in my next book.
3. Take a break. It may seem counterintuitive, but take a moment to eat lunch, exercise, or watch some pointless TV to give your brain a rest. Voilà! You just may find something to write about.
4. Use a flowchart. If you can't seem to tackle the mountainous task of writing a novel, start out small by creating a flowchart of your ideal characters and plot lines. No one says that you have to stick to it, but it will prepare you to write that first chapter.
5. Reread positive reviews and feedback. If you're having one of those days where you feel completely unfit to be a writer, it's time to take a trip down memory lane and reread old five-star reviews or client feedback. A small compliment that a client paid you in the past can help you to remember that you're talented, you're good enough, and you know what you're doing!
About The Author
Bethany works as Editor in Chief for Naturally Healthy Publications, as well as a freelance ghostwriter through Elance.com. She also co-owns her own website with her husband at The Coffee Bump. Bethany can be reached for further information about her writing services at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Twitter.
Adventure To Love by Bethany Ramos ~ Virtual Book Tour Page: Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours
Adventure To Love by Bethany Ramos
Publisher: Soul Mate Publishing
Publication Date: April 16, 2013
Format: eBook - 205 pages / Kindle - 2506 KB
Genre: Chick Lit / Contemporary Romance / Women's Fiction
BUY THE BOOK: Adventure To Love
Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.
Morgan, the blunt, down-to-earth, girl next door; Harper, a wannabe Hollywood starlet who is competing not only for her fifteen minutes of fame but to win enough money for breast implants; and Brinkley, the innocent, Jesus-loving Midwesterner who believes that she and Ky are a match made in heaven, must go head-to-head with nine other women on group dates and in challenges to stay in the competition.
What happens behind the scenes when a dating reality show goes awry?
My Book Review:
Dating Reality TV fans, if you need a quick fix in between watching the next season of your favorite Reality TV show, then Adventure To Love is the book to read!
Author Bethany Ramos weaves an entertaining tale with a Bachelor-like dating theme with a Survivor twist, that keeps the reader following along as twelve women contestants vie for the love of Bachelor Ky, a former boy band member. Set in the remote Indonesian island location of Bali, the story follows the trials and tribulations and behind the scenes struggles of three of the women contestants: Morgan, Harper, and Brinkley, who each has her own purpose for going on the show. Ky and the contestants don't know what they signed up for when they began the four week competition, and when the show goes awry, through all the drama, struggles, and twists that occur, they learn to expect the unexpected, and even some valuable life lessons.
I have to admit that I am a Reality TV junkie. I love these types of shows especially my favorites, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, so I knew I was going to enjoy reading Adventure To Love, and I wasn't disappointed! This entertaining tale has a great mixture or romance, drama, adventure, humor, twists and turns that kept me easily engaged and wanting to know what was going to happen next! I really enjoyed that the storyline featured the different perspectives of the three main women competitors, their diversity was intriguing and reminded me of the various women contestants that have appeared on The Bachelor. I couldn't help but get drawn into the adventure with Morgan, Harper and Brinkley. This fast paced story is a lot of fun, the plot twists will keep you guessing, while the drama, adventure, humor and romance will fill your Reality TV craving until the next season of your favorite show returns.
RATING: 4 STARS ****
Virtual Book Tour Schedule
August 19 – The Autumn Review – Novel Spotlight
August 20 – Chick Lit Plus – Review
August 22 – Julie Valerie's Book Blog – Q&A & Excerpt
August 22 – Storm Goddess Book Reviews – Review & Excerpt
August 23 – Samantha March – Q&A & Excerpt
August 26 – Jersey Girl Book Reviews – Review, Guest Post & Excerpt