If you love reading about the Deep South and adore the sweet accents of those charming Southern gentlemen, what exactly would you need to know if you'd like to strike up a conversation, keep him interested, and land yourself a date?
For Julia Sullivan's love interest, Shug Jordan, in Dancing Naked In Dixie, it was all about family, preserving his hometown's historical landmarks, and celebrating the annual Eufaula Pilgrimage.
For anyone who's set her sights on 'catching' her own Southern gentleman, here are the Top Ten Must - Know Topics:
1. Cheerin' - Find out his favorite SEC Football team, that team's biggest rivals, the mascot, and the record from the last ten or twenty seasons.
2. Huntin' - Does he hunt? Deer? Turkey? Does he bow hunt or take his dog? Does he expect you to cook any of it?
3. Fishin' - Saltwater? Fresh water? What's his favorite catch? Bait?
4. Cookin' & Bakin' - The way to any Southern Man's heart is through his stomach! Be sure to get his mama's recipe for fried chicken, banana puddin', and chicken salad! He'll love it!
5. Golfin' - Many Southern men love to get in 18 holes before noon on a Saturday. Read up on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and research his favorite places to tee off.
6. Church Goin' - Often takes place Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. Wear comfortable shoes!
7. Socializin' - Learn his favorite phrases, which likely include y'all, holler, fixin, ma'am, sir, get up with, and many others.
8. Sunnin' - Bring the sunscreen, plenty of water, and a wide-brimmed hat! The sun is brutal on the Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, and Carolina Coasts!
9. Eatin' - Prepare to dine on oysters, shrimp, BBQ, okra, greens, congealed salad, cheese straws, pimento cheese, gumbo, red velvet cake, and banana puddin'.
10. Visitin' - The Deep South is all about family and friends, so put on a big smile, your best dress, and prepare to meet his siblings, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, and buddies.
Of course, there are many techniques useful in 'catching' a Southern man. Any more you'd like to share?
About The Author:
Lauren Clark writes contemporary women's fiction set in the Deep South; stories sprinkled with love, family and friendship, and the challenges that life unexpectedly throws at all of us!
Her characters are real women; smart and sassy, who tackle complicated issues with tenacity and intelligence. Readers will empathize and relate to her flawed yet likable heroines. A former TV anchor and journalist at WWNY and WTVY, Lauren's stories allow us an insight into the excitement, drama and fast-paced world of media.
Laura is a reformed news junkie, a non-reformed coffee drinker, and an official library geek. Her big loves are family, paying it forward, eight hours of sleep a night, and homemade macaroni and cheese. She lives near the Florida Gulf Coast where she is surrounded by family and true-blue friends that inspire her writing and keep her sane.
Stayed Tune is Lauren's debut novel. her second book, Dancing Naked In Dixie was released in May 2012.
Lauren Clark's Dancing Naked In Dixie Virtual Book Tour Page On Virtual Book Tour Cafe
BUY THE BOOK: Dancing Naked In Dixie
Book Description: Dancing Naked In Dixie
Travel writer Julia Sullivan lives life in fast-forward. She jet sets to Europe and the Caribbean with barely a moment to blink or sleep. But too many mishaps and missed deadlines have Julia on the verge of being fired.
With a stern warning, and unemployment looming, she's offered one last chance to rescue her career. Julia embarks on an unlikely journey to the 'Heart of Dixie' - Eufaula, Alabama - home to magnificent mansions, sweet tea, and the annual Pilgrimage.
Julia arrives, soon charmed by the lovely city and her handsome host, but her stay is marred by a shocking discovery. Can Julia's story save her career, Eufaula, and the annual Pilgrimage?
Virtual Book Tour Giveaway: Enter to win a grand prize of a signed copy of Stayed Tuned, Lauren's first novel, and two (2) $15 gift cards. Post a comment below with your name and address, and follow the other virtual tour dates to have a chance to win!