Books are food for my soul! Pull up a beach chair and stick your toes in the sand as the Jersey surf rolls in and out, now open your book and let your imagination take you away.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Author Interview with Kimberly Lin, Author of Recession Proof

In association with Chick Lit Plus (CLP), Jersey Girl Book Reviews welcomes Kimberly Lin, author of Recession Proof!




Before we get to the interview, can you tell our readers a little bit about yourself?

I'm 27. A Gemini (that should tell you a lot). I love surfing and swimming, indie music and nice people.
Born and raised in Southern California. Favorite places to travel are Mykonos in Greece, Koh Lanta in Thailand, NYC and Kauai.
I have a 4 year old yorkie named Taeji (Korean for Prince) who is quite nearly the love of my life. 
Love Thai, Japanese and Taiwanese food but I'd wolf down a really good burger any day.


How long have you been a writer?

Hmm. My earliest memory of writing is probably the second grade. I had wrote a book of poetry that I was particularly fond of. But professionally, probably 1.5 years.


Do you have a "day job," or is being an author your career?

Being an author is my career. I am also the publisher and writer of Minted Magazine, a career / lifestyle digital magazine for women.


What inspired you to become a writer?

I don't think you can be inspired to be a writer since I think it's something you're born to do. Also, I think if you write, then you're a writer. But I would say, I was inspired to make writing my career because before I pursued it professionally, I was stuck in a finance career path that I didn't find fulfilling. 


Please give a brief description of the storyline about Recession Proof.

Sometimes going after what you want is the hardest thing you will ever do ... Meet Helen. Smart, successful and obliviously trapped. For the past six years, Helen has given her life and her heart to her cushy corporate finance job and to Mark without question. However as the Recession sweeps the Nation, she is one of many left unemployed and with the burning question of what she really wants in life. 




What was the inspiration for this story?

I wrote Recession Proof as a way to express how I felt as a young female working professional during these current economic times. At the time, I felt I was settling in my career and my relationship and writing the book was almost therapeutic for me. In my heart, I knew that life was about truly living it. 


How did it feel to have Recession Proof, your first novel, published?

Relieved. It was a two-year process and 80,000+ words. 


What genres are your favorite(s)? What are some of your favorite books that you have read and why?

Philosophy and chick lit. haha.


Favorite books: Something Borrowed, Emily Giffin. Fountainhead, Ayn Rand. Essays on Work and Culture, Hamilton Wright Mabie.


Do you have a special "spot/area" where you like to do your writing?

Anywhere that serves coffee.


How do you come up with the ideas that become the storyline for your books?

I get my inspiration from my girlfriends and from issues I'm going through. I suppose that's why many readers find that my work is very "real."


From concept to publication, about how long does it take for you to complete a book and have it released?

It took me two years to release Recession Proof. I'm hoping it won't take that long for my second book but I do believe in letting a piece "breathe."


When you write, do you adhere to a strict work schedule, or do you work whenever the inspiration strikes?

It's a little bit of both. I try to dedicate at least 3 hours to writing everyday but if nothing comes then I can't and shouldn't force it.
Then there are times I get a spurt of inspiration - it usually comes at 3:30-4:30am (my boyfriend is usually quite fond of those moments) :p


What aspects of storytelling do you like the best, and what aspects do you struggle with the most?

Editing is a pain. The best part is people's reactions to it. 
I love when someone says that they've read the book and couldn't put it down and that it was exactly what they were thinking and feeling.
Also, getting to know my characters. I love reading people in real life so it's fun creating characters and picking apart their neuroses.


What are your favorite things to do when you are not writing?

Being out in nature and experiencing new things. And being with people I love of course.


What is/was the best piece of writing advice that you have received?

If you write, then you're a writer - Emily Giffin. 


What is the most gratifying thing you feel or get as a writer?

When it resonates with the reader.


How do you usually communicate with your readers/fans?

Primarily through FACEBOOK


I also write a blog called The Cheap.


Also through my AUTHOR WEBSITE.


They can also contact me through my magazine Minted Magazine.


Are any things in your book based on real life experiences or are they purely all from your imagination?

It's a bit of both. some of the settings are real, some fictional. some experiences are real but exaggerated. But it's the funniest thing - some of the things I wrote about in the book have actually come to be. 


What authors have been your inspiration or influenced you to become a writer?

Emily Giffin, Ayn Rand, Hamilton Wright Mabie.


What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Writing is only half the battle. Learn how to market yourself and your book. It's reality. 


Are you currently writing a new book> If yes, would you care to share a bit of it with us?

My second book that I'm working on is called Thirty-Something. It's about this phenomenon that I've observed amongst my thirty-something girlfriends: they're in long-term relationships that they know they're settling for but they rationalize why they don't leave (aka "at least I have my career,"  "true love doesn't exist" ...etc). My work always leads back to this theme: "Never settle."




I would like to thank Kimberly for the opportunity to interview her, and for being so gracious to spend some time with us! Good luck with your writing career, I look forward to reading many more of your books!



AUTHOR WEBSITE
FACEBOOK
GOODREADS
BLOG: THE CHEAP
MINTED MAGAZINE


VIDEO: Recession Proof


BUY THE BOOK: Recession Proof
AMAZON
BARNES & NOBLE
SMASHWORDS


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Q&A! Looking forward to reading your review!


    Kimberly S. Lin

    kimberlyslin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to post tomorrow's Author Guest Post and my book review! :)

    ReplyDelete